jai shree krushna,
Thandai is a very popular drink in North India . This famous dry fruit and saffron flavoured milk that is traditionally prepared as an offering to Shiva during the festival of Mahashivratri mixed with ‘bhang’ to make an intoxicating drink.
This continues for the entire season of summers – specially served during the colourful festival of Holi to quench thirst and cool the heat as the name THANDAI .
Let us prepare this coolant and offer our Holi ke Rasiya – Shree Thakurji a glass full of Thandai.
- 1 ltr full fat milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 10 to 12 black peppercorns (kalimirch)
- a few saffron (kesar) strands
- To be ground into a fine powder –
- 1/4 cup almonds (badam)
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- 20 white peppercorns
- Preparation Method:
- Boil the milk and allow it to cool completely. Keep aside.
- Add the ground powder and mix well. Refrigerate the mixture for 3 to 4 hours.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve, add the sugar, peppercorns and saffron and mix well.
- Serve chilled.